Saturday, May 19, 2018

Monthly: best so far 104-7, Grade A-

This is my best month of the year so far. Up about 3.4% for the month. I count 104 winners 7 losers, self grade A-. The losers include some whipsaw action in AAPL and BA.

Here are some etfs that I track:
IWM +6.2% Russell 2000 U.S. small cap
SPY +2.0% S&P 500 U.S. large cap

GLD -1.0% gold
EEM -2.2% emerging markets equity


SLV -3.2% silver
TLT -7.6% U.S. 20 year treasuries

My portfolio +6.2% year to date, so quite respectable. It is interesting that the two U.S. stock etfs are up for the year, the other four are now down.

I took on more risk in April and May and it paid off. In particular I sold strangles on AMZN. The high dollar value, translates into tail risk, on a market shaking move.

My directional trades haven’t been very good. The minor adjustment to rebalance with layers further out in time seems to be working. Before I was selling short term premium and sometimes getting whipsawed.

For now it is still a bull market. However, one troubling shift in sentiment on Reddit, is more posts about trading for a living, and novices encouraging other novices to jump in with limited capital. This is the kind of sentiment shift that occurs at market tops. I’m not predicting, but between that and some recent Etrade commercials about yachts and a wealthy lifestyle, are what we see at tops. There remains healthy skepticism, so it is isn’t all red lights. The recent eight straight up days, shows there is still money to come in.

No comments: