Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Missing the boat

The stock market is in full rally mode today, with the Dow up over 200 points. For the most part, I missed the boat. In theory, a trader could have been short, long, short, long and made a bundle during the past few week or so. Nimble is not a word I use to describe my trading style. Problems related to the ThinkorSwim software platform add to my cautiousness. For now, I am sticking to the TOS website, which is slow but it is at least working.

There are worse things than missing the boat. A trader might be on the wrong side of the market. A trader can compound missed opportunities with high risk trades after the low risk entry point has passed. In hindsight, it is easy enough to see all the press about September being the historically worst month for stocks, to conclude that the decline into the end of August would be a good time to buy. Trading is easy in hindsight.

No comments: