Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ritholtz: Why Blog?

Barry Ritzholz writes about the reasons for blogging (link).

>>
1. You have something to say

2. You enjoy the craft of writing

3. You want to figure out what you think, and do so in public

4. You want to be part of a larger community of like minded individuals

5. You have a hobby or interest that you are really, really into

6. You want to maintain a presence on the Intertubes

7. You have an expertise and you want to share it

8. You have an eye for content (text, graphics and video) and you enjoy leading other people to them

9. You want to create a permament online record of what you are reading, looking at or thinking about

10. You like engaging in debate with total strangers

>>
For me, public blogging helps clarify my thoughts and motivations for entering or exiting a trade. Being publicly accountable, also seems to temper my emotional reactions. The old cliche is that by sharing knowledge a person increases their knowledge.

Things I have purposefully avoided are controversial topics such as politics. That is one reason that I get very little feedback on my blog. That is fine with me. Arguments, especially petty arguments are a scourge on the Internet, and in most cases shed very little light, and generate a lot of heat and anger. I've seen folks get bent out of shape over the most minor of issues and it costs them their mental health and sometimes physical health.

This blog started in February 2006, so it is almost four years now, with 930 posts. My trading and my results have improved. I don't post every day, which means I don't have as many readers as many other blogs. As a relatively slow moving position trader, I don't always have something interesting to say, and I don't always have time to blog.

I thank the regular readers, and I hope that some of the posts have been useful if not enlightening. Cheers.

No comments: