Friday, January 27, 2012

Schwab's Beginner class on Technical Analysis

I recently moved my retirement accounts to Schwab (trading account is still at ThinkorSwim). They have free seminars at the local offices. I recently attended a beginner's hour on Technical Analysis.

Topics include:
Dow theory
kinds of charts (line, bar, candle)
moving averages
support and resistance
trendlines
time frames
popular pairings for moving averages (10,20) (20,50) (50,200)
moving average crossovers

With only 45 minutes, I could tell that the presenter is a bright person, with a lot of patience. There were about eight people in the class, several 70+ years old.

I believe all would-be traders would do well to learn at least the basics, and the one-hour class would be a decent intro. Disclaimer after disclaimer was issued, about how charts don't guarantee anything. There was some discussion on trading with the trend vs. trading counter-trend.

I came away with a decent outline of some topics to cover if I ever decide to do my own instructional material.

No comments: