Thursday, May 17, 2012

Disaster!

Scramble mode
Close out short MMM puts for a loss
close AAPL put vertical for huge loss
Close out GLD short puts for a small profit
MMM @84.9 AAPL @535 GLD @152.1

Disaster! I close three positions. AAPL was a huge -1300% percentage loss basis the initial premium. Fortunately, It is more like 1.1% of the price of underlying in dollar terms. Still a hard hit but hopefully recoverable. I bail on MMM in part because of the AAPL loss. I'd prefer not to have multiple huge losses in the same month. Same story with GLD, it looks like it will close out okay but don't want to risk another big loss.

As I type this up, looks like I got washed out in a wave of selling and the market is stabilizing and recovering. Phooey. Well, I will lick my wounds and regroup. The losses took out about 1/3 of the year's gains. That is often the way with option selling, small profits, big losses. A few minutes can make a big difference in profit/loss in a moving market. Today would be classified as a bad day.

Long AMGN BRKB GNC LGF TLT
Net long AMZN IWM SPY

No comments: