Saturday, February 16, 2019

Monthly: boom goes the dynamite, grade A

Market booms ahead, erased the losses from December 2018.
Here are a few etfs, ranked best to worst for 2019 year to date (dividends not included)

IWM +16.7% Russell 2000 US small cap
QQQ +11.5% Nasdaq 100, mostly tech

SPY +11.0% S&P 500 US large cap
EEM +7,8% Emerging markets equity
GLD +2.9% gold

SLV +2.1% silver
TLT +0.4% US 20 year treasuries

My account +16.7% right there with IWM. This despite what I consider a relatively cautious market stance. Many days, I tried to rebalance towards delta neutral by the end of the day. Amazon accounts for a lot of the gain. Some days the market ran too hot. This past week, I was lagging the bulls, because I had sold so many calls.
Notable new long for this week is ANET Arista Networks. Most of the earnings plays I did were winners. The one notable flop was a short position in Facebook. Some I played after the news was out.
I could have done better, but up over 16% for six weeks is remarkable, so I give myself a rare grade A rating for the trading month.
As I have said, one recent change is abandoning the count of winners and losers. Win percentage is an interesting stat, but not that meaningful. In past years, I aimed for a high win percentage. Now I mostly focus on delta, possibly the gamma, and the net liquidating value.

No comments: