Saturday, January 01, 2022

Year end wrap up, C+

My trading account is up 16.4% for calendar 2021. After -37% in 2020, a half a loaf gain is welcome. SPY and QQQ both were up much more, so the performance doesn’t feel great, so the self-grade is C+. The new normal is more cash reserves, smaller positions. Again, if someone had offered me +16 on January 1, 2021, I would have taken it. I’ll take the deal again, but as long time readers know, nothing is guaranteed.

Here are some etfs and their 2021 performance:

SPY SP500 27.0%

QQQ Nasdaq 100 26.8%

IWM Russell 2000 13.5%

GLD gold -4.2%

EEM emerging mkt -5.5%

TLT US20 yr -6.0%

SLV silver -12.5%

Again, my trading account +16.4%. It is worth nothing that precious metals, emerging markets, and 20 year Treasuries all had down years. Diversification didn’t help returns.

For those that believe markets in the “everything bubble,” some day they will likely be correct. But not this year. Their “safe” assets of bonds and gold didn’t do so well.

I wish I had something profound to write, or some boldly accurate predictions. Happy New Year one and all. Let’s hope it’s a good one.

No comments: