Sunday, September 24, 2023

Another late report, slow erosion, Grace C+

The US stock market continue lower, feels worse than the monthly numbers indicate. I lose a bit. Here are a few ETFs 2023 year-to-date:

QQQ Nasdaq 100 34.4%
SPY SP500 12.5%

GLD gold 5.3%
EEM emerging mkt 1.5%
IWM Russell 2000 1.3%

SLV silver -2.0%
TLT US20 yr -8.2%

My trading account +15.8 for 2023, good not great. I have a large cash reserve. The portion invested leans towards big cap tech. Bonds are leading the way lower. I started building a small long position in TLT and was way early. I delta hedge a bit by selling way otm calls, but the decline has been too steep, so TLT is one my few losing tickers for the year.

Adding longs becomes a lot more interesting if we get to a 20% decline from the recent top. In rough round numbers that is 370 for SPY, 310 for QQQ. At -20% bear market news gets real popular. The headwind from bonds is real.

Like I wrote last month, adding QQQ longs on dips seems like a solid way to proceed. 350 is approximately 10% off the recent high. A seasonal play is to look to buy stocks making 52 week lows at the end of October to December. Looks for solid companies that may be seeing tax selling.

No comments: