Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Buy GDX (sell puts)

Buy GDX and SPY (sell puts)
Buy GDX via selling May 48 puts, GDX @58.7. The short April puts are near delta zero, so I open a May position to have continued exposure. Like the GLD puts I sold, these are way out, with a high probability of success.

I also layer on more SPY longs via selling SPY Apr 123 puts SPY @131.8. I figure if all the news couldn't get SPY much below 125, it will take a wallop to get it below 123 before April expiration. I am already short SPY puts for Apr 103, Apr 113, Apr 117, May 107.

These are low risk and low reward trades. My broker ThinkorSwim lets me do the trades with exchange minimum margins of about 10% of the underlying strike. I can't remember ever running out of buying power or even getting close. So while these can be risky trades at full margin, I don't go near using full leverage. For any new readers, I survived 2008 selling puts, so do occasionally cut and run and take my lumps.

Long EEM, GDX, GLD, IWM, SPY, TBT, TLT

No comments: