Friday, March 11, 2011

The quick and the dead

For those with relatives or friends in the earthquake zone, my prayers and good wishes for safe outcomes.

I have more ideas for trades today, but after the recent disaster of XME, I stay away. I have plenty of positions for April. A big loss can make a trader punch drunk. The temptation is to try and make it back as soon as possible. That works for a few traders, but it can also lead to a spiraling losses. For any novice traders reading along, I would suggest the safer path, of trading smaller or taking a break after a loss that stings.

During volatile markets like we have been experiencing, it would be nice to be a more nimble, quicker thinking, quicker moving trader. After over 20 years in the markets, there is always more to learn, but a big change in overall trading style is unlikely to come to pass. As I often write, I usually do better after the dust has settled and trade off the support and resistance levels that have been established.

No comments: