Thursday, December 29, 2011

Jaffe: goals for 2012, and F-U-money

Chuck Jaffe at MarketWatch writes about his personal goals for 2012 (link). Included on this list are:

Taking care of myself first [health]

Reducing financial stress

I am big believer in balance, that money and finance are only one part of life.

As for #2, I sometimes talk about wealthy people not having to worry about their money. I no longer enjoy financial rollercoasters. Yes, options can be extremely volatile, but position size takes the edge off.

In conversation, I sometimes use the term F-U-money (yes, the expletive). It was a term I heard from President Ronald Reagan's Secretary of Treasury, Donald Regan. Regan talked about the president's close circle of advisers, and how he alone had enough money to really protect himself. Regan felt that he had enough money, that he could tell his boss F-U, even though his boss was the most powerful person in the world. If a person has enough money to tell their boss that, that in a nutshell is where the term comes from. And no, I don't have that much. It would be nice.

No comments: