Saturday, June 16, 2012

Marketwatch: 20 questions for would-be traders

Paul Farrell at Marketwatch reposts his list of 20 questions for would be traders. I'll post the first five to give a flavor, the rest are at the link.

>> Yes or No:
1) You’ve tried more than one new investment strategy this year

2) Feel you’re buying and selling funds at the wrong time

3) Rarely open up to anybody for feedback about your losses

4) Subscribe to two or more newsletters, feel overwhelmed

5) Can count on one hand all the good laughs this week
>>

I notice that there is precious little about market terminology, percentage of winners, risk management, trading strategy, trading systems. Seems like the majority of the questions are general lifestyle, perception of the markets, general psych questions.

Denise Shull often gives free webinars for my broker ThinkorSwim. Shull also does consulting with top traders for huge fees. One of her questions is "how well did you sleep last night?" Hmm. My recent fat finger mistake on GNC came after a late night out and not much sleep. Hmm, maybe there is something to that.

Changing the subject, today and tomorrow are rounds 3 and 4 of the U.S. Open Golf tournament. With a screen name of Tiger (and RedTiger on the PCGS forum), one would think I am a big Tiger Woods fan. While I do enjoy watching Tiger play golf on TV, I don't always root for him to win. I wonder how Shull or Farrell might interpret that in terms of trader psychology, eg: rooting for the favorite vs. rooting for a newcomer or old time underdog.

No comments: