Friday, September 14, 2012

Buy IWM (sell puts)

Buy IWM via selling Oct 79 puts @86.7
The Russell 2000 ETF made a new 52-week high. Resistance often becomes support, so that is 85. There are multiple minor support levels at 84, 81, 80. The massive Fed induced rally in stocks and gold was a surprise to me. Fortunately, I covered all my short calls before the news event.

Captain Obvious can say in hindsight that it would have been best to be long calls. Some of the calls I sold are up 5x to 10x in value in a few weeks, so call buyers hit home runs. Thank goodness I covered before the losses became financial ice bergs. It is ironic that just days after Barrons runs a column about short strangles (short both puts and calls) producing excellent returns, the strategy blows up with major losses for those that did not use stops. Even stops are sometimes of limited value on a fast moving news day.

Long AMGN BRKB ESRX EWG LGF XHB
Long GLD IWM XRT
Net neutral SPY

No comments: