Sunday, January 20, 2019

Monthly: Monster truck rally grade A-

Stock markets start the year with a monster rally. My account is up 8%. Here are a few etfs for 2019:

IWM +10.0% Russell 2000 US small cap
QQQ + 7.1% Nasdaq 100 US mostly tech
SPY + 6.6% S&P 500 US large cap

EEM + 6.4% Emerging market equities
GLD - 0.2% gold

SLV - 1.0% silver
TLT - 1.6% US 20 year treasuries

So equities had a very good month, and some other asset classes declined a bit.

A couple of big changes that I made were to adjust back to near delta neutral on most days. Sometimes I had to make multiple adjustments. I stopped counting winners and losers. I used to really want to book winners, which is human nature. Now, I am more likely to find the quickest way back to near delta neutral and if that means taking losses so be it.

Who knows which way the market goes next? I sure don’t. I am taking some risk, but overall a bit more cautious than I was, say in September 2018. Stay tuned.

No comments: