Friday, April 26, 2019

Weekly: Big Dogs AMZN TSLA

My most profitable two tickers for calendar 2019 are AMZN and TSLA. This week both reported earnings and my big dogs led to another week of profits. I was up a bit over 1% for the week. I didn’t trade all that well, taking some losses in FDX, XLNX among others. My long position in DIS did well, but on that underlying I am still underwater for the year after getting blown out on short calls, on the huge gap up.

For Amazon and Telsa, being way out of the money on sold strangles, was the secret sauce. Overall, I remain relatively cautious, but am willing to make modest amounts of hay while the sun is still shining. Way too many novices fear the bear. We had a bear on QQQ in late 2018. SPY missed by one percentage point. If we count the new bull market as having started on Dec 26, 2018, it is only four months old. Way too many people cite the ten year old bull as a reason for being bearish, when but for a technicality, the new bull is only four months old. It certainly is for QQQ.

No comments: