Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A one year wonder

Mark Hulbert at Marketwatch writes about the top performing stock newsletter for 2006 (link). The short and sweet version is that this newsletter turned in a +75.5% gain for the year. However Hulbert takes a look at what might happen if a person took the top newsletter each year for the last ten and followed them for a year. This produced a dismal return.

A couple of sites/writers have posted some eye opening performance numbers for 2006. Some are looking for clients. Hulbert provides a service in that he does real world performance that mimicks what actual subscribers might be able to duplicate. Some will tout big numbers, however, a real world analysis shows that subscribers could not humanly duplicate them.

Like others, I could put any number out there and start trolling for paid clients. However, without someone to verify the record, I would not put a lot of stock into what someone writes.

As always, I am not here to sell you anything, or to recommend stocks to buy or sell. This public journal helps keeps me true to myself and my investment philosophy.

No comments: