Thursday, April 17, 2008

Earnings giveth and taketh

GOOG makes for the third big name tech related stock with booming earnings, INTC, IBM, and now GOOG. Some other stocks didn't have such good news such as NOK and PFE. Some stocks fell on what looked to be decent reports such as EBAY, and some rallied on what on the surface looked to be bad earnings such as MER.

As always, my opinion is that earnings are the main engine for stock performance, more important than most other factors.

I got crunched today in BRK.B and am none too happy. I am tempted to double up the position--we'll see. MON short puts are expiring tomorrow, stock is up 15% since I wrote the options. I am also short the May 21 puts on INTC. I was tempted to buy some IBM, but missed the best time window. I reminded myself that it is easy to get overconfident and have the market crunch me like a cat playing with a mouse.

No comments: