Friday, January 01, 2010

2009 rewarded risk taking

From junk bonds to speculative stocks to emerging markets, all were big winners in 2009. Sure the ride was a wild one with many declining steeply into the March lows, but the ride up was more than spectacular. 2009 was also one of the worst in recent memory for Treasury bonds, so risk was rewarded, caution punished.

Readers know that I tend towards the cautious side, so I didn't have a banner year. Sure I have some profits, more so in my long term positions, than in the trades reported in the blog. The blog trades show modest gains. The accounting to separate the short term trades and the longer term investments is a bit muddled this year, so I don't have a readily available bottom line number for the blog trades. Some bloggers might be tempted to skew the results by solely reporting the huge percentage winners on small dollar option trades.

Happy New Year to all the readers. My schedule is opening up so I will return to more frequent blogging and trading. Perhaps three or four updates a week is what might be expected. Cheers.

Long TLT

No comments: