Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Waiting Game

Weekend news from Nigeria hiccups oil higher, gold and silver follow. Not that much market moving news. The Nikkei had a recovery day, but the Japan ETF, symbol EWJ is flattish. I take a look at JWN (Nordstrom) but I think I can get in lower. DELL looks intriguing as a buy/write right at the strike of 30, but it is not compelling. Gold trades in a narrow range of about $6 today, after $15 to $20 intra-day swings last week.

I can write about stocks with no earnings. Evergreen Solar, ESLR (Key stats), is on the volume leader board, and got a bump higher on news of a contract. It is too richly valued for me to trade, and thin too with under $1 billion in market cap. For companies with no earnings, a person can look at revenues (commonly referred to as the top line). For ESLR, it is trading at a rich 20 times sales. One times sales is a good number, though in many industries, a stock will never get that low.

For now, I do nothing. I wait for better opportunities.

No comments: